2.25.2011

The Backstreet Boys

I just got home from a Boys' Night Out.

No, I'm no lesbian and I am totally not against homosexuality.

I just often find myself drinking in the company of my male friends. And when I say friends, I mean real ones. Tenderly demeaning, protective, objective yet loving male friends. No hanky-panky nonsense or friends with benefits scenario. Friends. Genuine male buddies.

It is a fact that when it comes to friends, I jell better with the male ones. Girly-girl friends are just.. I don't know. I have girly-girl friends, I can count them with my fingers on one hand and I love them to death. But I think the girl world is just full of the drama, subjectivity, glitz and glamor.

Having guy friends provided me with a sense of balance. I owe my sense of humor to them. I learned to be crass and objective when it comes to love and life. During most of the toughest times in my personal life, I called on those dudes for guidance. They helped me get through most of my obstacles without shedding too much tears. They presented to me everything I needed to know about men, too much information that I started becoming cynical whenever a guy makes the moves on me. Ironically, my guy friends taught me how to be a woman.

But sadly, instead of appearing as one of the boys, there are others who misconstrue my affinity with these dudes. My long, curly hair had numerous threats last year from girls who were after the hearts of my male friends. An ex called my male buddies as the Backstreet Boys for standing by me during our toughest confrontation. And because of that, I decided that the next boyfriend has to understand why I have male friends. But unfortunately, no stranger could hit on me when I'm with them. Crap.

Side story: Earlier, somebody hit on me. They simply shooed him off by saying that I was the girlfriend of one of our friends. Normally, that would be all right but that guy was handsome. Gorgeous, even! I asked him why they didn't let the guy approach me. My buddies simply said that the stranger had something else in mind. Whatever. Hello singlehood for another five years.

So yes. It was another Boys' Night Out. Another night of bad-ass and nasty jokes that often made me wonder whether they were forgetting that I was a girl.

No comments: