8.26.2009

Kuwento Lang

Almost my entire day was spent at the Alexian Brothers Wellness Clinic. I took my parents there for a check-up and we ended up staying there longer than we planned.

I took Mom to the OB-Gyne. Dad visited his cardiologist. Haaaah. I can only wish that when I get older, I hope I don't need to spend thousands of pesos for hospitalization.

While in the area, I realized how I immediately wore my "health care worker" mentality. What to do, where to go next, what the doctor meant. It was a relief to know that after many years of not practicing, I still knew quite a lot of stuff.

***
The First Car

My brother is in the age of having "the first car". In our family, "the first car" is never synonymous with "brand new car" or "flashy look-at-me car".

My first car was the one I had a few scratches on while trying to drive out of the garage. Or the one that caused traffic on an intersection because it broke down. It's the one I used to run errands to a nearby store just for the sake of practicing how to drive, while being careful that none of my crushes would see me actually driving that piece of junk. On Sundays, I used it to take our family to church. We would leave the house thirty minutes earlier just so I have enough reasons to drive slow and avoid getting caught because I didn't have a license then. And of course, the first car was the one I used for most of my escapes. Definitely, the first car is the one that gave me most of my experience.

Now that my brother is 19, he was given his own car. A Toyota Corolla 1990 model. Broken driver's seat door, screeches when you step on the break, no stereo, and the engine suddenly goes off when you stay too long on first gear. But it's black, with leather seat covers. And it runs smooth, no clanging sounds when passing by an uncemented road. Not bad.

Though bro still has a student license, he already drives around with me or our licensed family buddies. So far, the car broke down on an intersection, fell on the shoulder and locked my brother out with the keys inside. I wish him more learning experiences with the first car.

No comments: