9.27.2009

Ondoy and Planet Earth

Ondoy, Ondoy Go Away, Don't Dare to Come Another Day

Yesterday, I was wondering how come there was a News Flash every fifteen minutes or so on TV. I was only hearing the opening music for the ABS-CBN news flash but I didn't really pay attention. I was only aware of what really happened til last night, when Cristine Reyes was begging for help as she was stuck on their rooftop with her family for eight hours. Little did I know about the extent of damage that Ondoy brought to Luzon.

I remember Manila to be prone to flood. But this one is crazy. Cars floating, people swimming amidst rainwater and even posh subdivisions seem to be floating as well. This picture from Yahoo images broke my heart.


People are swimming towards higher ground for safety. On my Twitter account, I read a lot of updates from local celebrities. The one that struck me most was @iloveruffag's post:

Chard said it was like the end of the world in Marikina. Pitch black, hundreds shouting for help,food. Most were angry,others were crying.
While I and other DavaoeƱos are so lucky to be in a typhoon-free zone, I think it is best for us to offer prayers for the victims of this typhoon. God bless the Philippines.

Weird Planet

Dad and I were chatting via Yahoo Messenger earlier. I told him about Ondoy. Then, he told me it snowed in Mongolia for a day then it stopped. Yesterday, it was freezing and today it was sunny and warm. His Mongolian officemates remarked that this was the first time they experienced such moody weather. And we both remembered the Red Dust in Sydney the other morning.

We only have one conclusion: Planet Earth is acting strange.

In other news..

Our cousins visited us! Yey! They live in Taytay, Rizal so we haven't seen each other in a gazillion years. Ate Jet and Kuya Jas used to visit us when we still lived in Bataan. We were growing up together when we were kids but sadly, we grew apart in the later years because my family and I moved to Davao. They're both older than me by four to six years (I never knew they're exact age) and they've always given me that "older sibling feeling" that I long for. It's nice chatting with them and their mom, Tita Flor. Our conversations have mostly evolved on how it was before when we were kids and how we are now. They still can't forget that I wanted to join Miss Philippines! Gaaah! It's truly great to have them here even for a few days.

3 comments:

martian1018 said...

the water in the house i lived in pasig was around 3ft high. at my cousin's house just a couple of meters down the road, it was neck deep. the world is really acting up. i'm sort of glad my mom forced me to come home.

Nikka P. said...

3 feet! that's high.

two wishes: one, i hope everyone can recuperate. and two, i hope it will never happen in Davao.

tedpen said...

miss Philippines ei??? hmmm.... hehe