9.17.2009

Who for President

Interesting conversation. Yesterday, while we were waiting for the lab results at the doctor's clinic, Doc asked me who I will be voting for in the coming elections. I told him that although Noynoy Aquino and Gilbert Teodoro are making a lot of buzz lately, I don't really like either of them. And for that matter, it seems like I really have no other choice. The doc reacted to this. He told me that I just didn't know the achievement of Noynoy's parents that's why I'm not really enthusiastic about him. Eh?

I know Ninoy and Cory's achievements all too well and I believe they have contributed much effort for democracy. I also believe in their morality. Though it isn't safe to say that they are faultless, but maybe they are two of the few politicans who strived to keep their leadership clean and exemplary. Though I wasn't born at that time, I know they devoted a portion of their lives in the service of the Filipino people.

But Noynoy? Hmm. I still think he has more to prove. Kung sa mangga pa, I think he's the kind that looks ripe but it's actually sour inside. Presidency is not inherited, definitely. But, if he was raised by such moral and religious parents, maybe he's got a few tricks up his sleeve. Plus, his family was already wealthy even before they jumped to politics. I don't think money can still lure Noynoy to the wrong direction.

With this, the doctor told me that the country needs a leader that is moral, someone that can do a "general cleaning" on the "household". He believes that Noynoy could do that, if ever he wins.

In the coming election, if I haven't set my eyes on a specific candidate, I think I am inclined to vote for Noynoy. Just for the sake of voting.

It was the first time that I talked about politics with someone older, aside from my dad. it felt refreshing and empowering, making me realize that indeed I have a voice that matters, just like everyone else.

Baaaah. I've become such an activist. I owe this to the existence of a stagnant government that requires active people.

1 comment:

martian1018 said...

i won't vote... no matter who i'd vote, people would still find reasons to rally and try to oust him/her. so whats the point? no matter who would be in office, hundreds if not thousands will still waste their time out on the streets protesting. and no matter who wins, the losers will always say he/she cheated...

i have become politically apathetic...