9.01.2009

iConnect.

Because I am a stay-at-home daughter, there's one thing that I have much of - time. Often when we have so much time, we easily get bored and we tend to slack off. And when we stay at home too long, we tend to lose connection with the outside world. Thanks to Facebook, Multiply and other social networking sites, I still keep in touch with my friends. But then, I recently discovered a website that allows me to connect to people from other parts of the globe through postcards.

Earlier this year, I joined Postcrossing. I first heard of it from my friend, Tornee. At first, she asked for copies of my photography, saying that she was making local postcards. So I agreed. Weeks later, I received a picture that I took turned into a postcard with a note at the back saying that the image has travelled to more than twenty countries worldwide! At first, I thought she was, you know, looking for love online by sending postcards and all that stuff. So I shrugged it off. But after sometime, I got eternally bored with FB and Multiply, came across Postcrossing, signed up, sent my first batch of postcards. I decided to be my artsy-fartsy self, so I made my own Davao City postcard.


This was taken at Matina Aplaya, and one of the images I'm most proud of. I printed five of these, sent them to the addresses assigned to me and voila! Two weeks later, I received some postcards!

Here's the first batch I got..


These are from Oxford, Russia, two from Finland, the Netherlands and the USA. Everytime Manong Postman rings our doorbell, it turns my day around! And it's because of the postcards I get, not because of Manong Postman ha. :)

I'm now excited and anticipating the arrival of my second batch. Cheers for Postcrossing! :)

2 comments:

tornee said...

YAH!!!not looking for love online!!!HELL NO!!LOL!hahaha--its an old addiction!! and i think i got it from my mom and my paternal grandfather who works as a postmaster ^__^..piki ka niks!!

Nikka P. said...

HAHAHAHA. Peace tornee! :)