11.11.2009

Early Christmas




This is a picture of the Davao City Hall. I took this last November 2007. It goes to show how Christmas starts early in the Philippines.

Mom and I did the groceries yesterday. We were in the aisle filled with condiments, looking for tomato catsup. As I was taking a bottle off from the shelf, a lady approached me. She was shorter than me, and she looked like one of those ladies in church that led the Bible study for kids. Conservatively dressed, armed with a black book with envelopes sticking out of it. To my surprise, she asked for donations for their foundation. She asked for money. In the supermarket. Gaaah.

Because I was in a major PMS mode yesterday, I raised voice in an attempt to let by-passers hear. "Ha? Donation? Sigurado ka pwede kayo humingi ng donation dito?" She said yes. She added she was from the Pentecostal church. I eyed her and I saw a twinge of deceit in her eyes. But somehow, it seemed as if she needed it badly. She spoke again, prodding me to give her some money for their church. From my wallet, I took a twenty-peso bill. As I  handed it to her, I told her to be careful in case a security guard sees her. I don't think any supermarket would allow people to "solicit" money from the grocers. She took the money, greeted me "Merry Christmas" and took off.

Truly, in the Philippines, Christmas is more than a day. It's a season. And since it is also dubbed as the Season of Giving, it is sad how some people take advantage of it. Nevertheless, the Man upstairs sees our hearts and our intentions.

Merry Early Christmas! :)

1 comment:

tedpen said...

Taray ni ate. Hehe! Blame it on PMS. toinx!