11.24.2009

Screw Violence!

Seeing the news reports are heartbreaking. Forty plus people massacred one by one, ditched in a cliff and covered with soil. The suspect? Their political rival, the head of a powerful family.

I've heard the same story before. Two powerful families with a hideous display of violence. Only this time, it involves another surname. I've seen  and shortly acquainted with the Mangudadatus earlier this year. It makes me shiver wondering who among them were massacred.

We here in Mindanao are aware of what their rival family is capable of. They sure know how to use their money and their guns. Just a flash of either of the two could pretty much get them what they want or need. It makes me sad to think that money, guns and power are all they need to get by. No love, no respect, no God.
The manner of killing is definitely barbaric; something that only a maniac is capable of, a megalomaniac that is. He feels like he holds so much wealth and power in his hands to the point that he bypasses laws and he even disregards the lives of other people, believing his life to be more valuable than theirs. He exercises so much strength in money, seeing it as a means of buying virtually anything - women, education, life and death. He holds the fear of people in his hands and shows it to them. He assumes that he is a god - omnipotent, all-knowing, able to discern one's destiny. Oh will somebody please show him that he is not?

I feel like a little girl, wondering why people kill. Should we kill people who are killing people? So we can show them that killing people is absolutely wrong? If power gives you the ability to do that, then I won't bother dreaming of being powerful someday.


In this situation, the suspect is a lion and GMA is the generous zookeeper, feeding the animal with his needs. I wish GMA would do the right thing, just this once. I wish justice would work just this once. And I wish the megalomaniac would face sheer reality and his own end, just this once.


I was browsing through some quotations today when I came across this one by Leonard Mosley.

Killing is practically a Filipino national pastime but on Mindanao, it's an industry.
I can't help but raise an eyebrow on that one.  But with the ongoing insane events in Maguindanao, slowly, my mind started to think that there must be some truth in it.



2 comments:

martian1018 said...

hey nik... havent had the luxury of time to visit your blogs the last week... but i'm back!

its sad that this had to happen for the rest of the country to know the gravity of the situation. its sad that there are people who could stomach doing these things. and its sad that the world sees our island as a place where barbaric and savage people live.

I hope JUSTICE will be served.

Danny Mendiola said...

Hi Nikka!
This is Danny Mendiola. Im returning the favor of visiting your blog. Thanks to my daughter who taught me how to access your blog from your comment... I share your sentiments regarding the Maguindanao massace. Read my latest post...My family and I visited PRPC some two years back. Its kinda sad,the place not the same anymore. But the hospital building where you were born was still there...I love your photos! I wish I have your eye for beauty, for seeing the extraordinary in the ordinary... My youngest daughter who is your age is also into photography... God bless!

Danny